Pre-Positional Errors and Effective Communication among Students
This study examined prepositional errors and effective communication among students of College of Education, Afaha Nsit. Three research questions were formulated to guide the study. A descriptive survey research design was adopted for the study. The population of the study consisted of all he students studying English Language in the College while the sample was made up of one hundred (100) students selected from five English combinations using simple random sampling technique. The instrument for data collection was a structured questionnaire developed by the researcher. Data obtained were subjected to simple percentage statistical analysis. Results of the findings indicated that use of wrong prepositions; omission as well as inclusion of prepositions are common prepositional errors that influence effective communication in English language. It was therefore recommended that lecturers of English language should treat courses such as Basic Grammar and Advanced Grammar with great care. In addition, media organizations such as television and radio stations should allot time for English tutorials to help Nigerians correct their grammatical blunders.
1.1 Background to the study
Prepositional errors and deviant structures or utterances arising from the misapplication or ignorance of rules governing the use of prepositions in English grammar. These errors manifest in the use of the wrong prepositions, omission of some prepositions as well as inclusion of certain preposition (where they are unnecessary) in sentential expressions. These imperfect uses of language usually occur in both spoken and written communication.
Communication on the other hand is indispensable as far as social growth and development is concerned. All human societies depend on some sort of communication foe survival, integration and co-existence. It encompasses using words, sounds, sign and behaviours to exchange information between individuals and groups in a given society. It is basically a channel whereby one mind could affect another through action, reaction and interaction. Shannon and Wearer (2009) conceptualize communication as the act of conveying intended meanings from one individual or group to another with the use of mutually understand signs and rules. It is the process by which meaning is assigned and transmitted in an attempt to create shared understanding in a language.
To Ikeobi (2006), communication involves transmitting; receiving and acting upon information through mutually agreed cockles or symbols. Its main aim is to “inform, entertain, instruct and persuade” in any given social discourse. Bamgbo (2001) point out in every human communication, there are always two participants, the sender and the receiver. The process of communication is initiate when a speaker who is stimulated by a need to share a message formulates some ideas in his mind. These ideas are hen converted into sentences before they are put to speech or writing.
Pre-Positional Errors and Effective Communication among Students
Interestingly, communication is made possible through language and in this case, English. As the official language and lingua-franca, it is pertinent for Nigerians especially students, to speak and write intelligible English. It is based on this belief that the current study is undertaken to rectify the common blunders relating to the usage of prepositions among students of College of Education, Afaha Nsit.
1.2 Statement of the problem
Nigeria is blessed with more than four hundred languages. These languages are spoken by the country. Hence, there is need for a common language that would adequately meet the communities needs of the diverse people. Through a colonial legacy, the English language assumes a prominent role in the affair of the nation as both the official and second language. It is the language of communication entertainment among other. In deed one is held in high esteem if one writes and speaks English with impeccable fluency. However, the researcher has observed that the standard of English used in the society nowadays is very poor and so, leaves much to be desired.
It is a glaring fact that communication in the language posses a big problem to many Nigerians irrespective of their literacy level. This may not be in connected with role learning, ignorance, carelessness and insufficient exposure to the elements of grammar, particularly word classes. In a nutshell, the indiscriminate use of English preposition among Nigerian students in their daily interaction has necessitated this research.
1.3 Purpose of the study
The general aim of this study is to examine prepositional errors and effective communication among students of College of Education, Afaha Nsit. In specific terms the study will;
- Determine the extent to which use of wrong prepositions affect effective communication in the English language.
- Determine the extent to which omission of preposition affect effective communication in English language.
- Determine the extent to which inclusion of preposition affect effect communication in English language.
1.4 Significance of the study
The study is significant in the following:
- It will help to improve the use of English language for communication among students and the general public.
- It will help teachers and lecturers of English language to treat word classes (part of speech) with the attention they deserve.
- It will enlighten parents on the need to enroll their children in schools that offer quantitative arts education.
- It will enable the government to retain teachers and lecturers of English language through seminars, conferences and symposia.
- It will provide a reference point for future researchers that might investigate the same variables.
1.5 Research Questions
The following research questions are formulated to direct the study:
- How does the use of wrong preposition affect effective communication in English language?
- To what extent does omission of preposition affect effective communication in English language?
- How does inclusion of preposition affect effective communication English language?
- The Redeemed Christian Church of God Nigeria. Local Identities and global Processes in African Pentecostalism - December 13, 2022
- A Research Problem On Birth Order And Academic Performance In Social Studies Among Primary School Pupils - December 13, 2022
- SUPERVISION OF INSTRUCTION AND TEACHERS TEACHING EFFECTIVENESS - December 13, 2022