Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Students Academic Performance in Economics
This study was designed to find out ways in which Information/ Communication Technology (ICT) could aid the academic performance of students in Economics in secondary school in Uruan Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State. Three research questions and three null hypotheses were formulated to guide the study. The population of the study consisted of all the senior secondary one to two (SS1-SS2) students which were about 1600. The sample size was one hundred and sixty (160) secondary one (SS1) students. A twenty (20) items Economics Achievement Test (EAT) was the main instrument used for data collection. A survey research design was employed in the study. An independent t-test statistical method was adopted and used for data analysis. The findings of the study revealed that; students in school where there was adequate provision of ICT resources and allowed to use the available resources as well as being taught by the teachers who have adequate knowledge in the use of ICT resources performed academically better than their counterparts. Based on the finding it was recommended among others that adequate ICT resources should be provided in all secondary schools in the area for effective performance by students and teachers.
1.1 Background to the Study
Computer and Communication combines to give information to technology (IT) by which the use of information become far more efficient. According to Aina (2015) and efficient use of information can affect society and education. He added that computer has made direct impact on education in the form of system that are actually involved with the teaching process. The author also pointed out some of the system to include computer assisted instruction, computer assisted learning, computer training and computer management instruction. However, educators across Nigeria recognized that students must have good education that enables them to participate successfully in and contribute positively to the realizing of national objectives.
Schools also are developing and implementing technology plans and investing in computers and other new technologies in particular, educators realize that computer networking offers flexible and powerful new ways to accomplish a range of goals in school. During the last two decades higher education institutions have invested heavily Information and Communication Technology (ICT). ICT has had a major impact in the university context, in organization and in teaching and learning methods. Therefore, education has to be continuously preoccupied to create information, handling skills and abilities among the students and teachers so that they have improved methods of teaching and learning through the provision of the necessary facilities. The use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in secondary schools have offered a sample opportunities and advantages to education more people rapidly to improve efficiency and to improve their academic performance in Economics.
The use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in teaching and learning is becoming wider in scope today to our schools nationwide. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is not only restricted to its usage as instructional materials inform of teaching aid but it as become a tool to reshape knowledge delivery and hence both teachers and students activities in the classroom. However, studies have shown that majority of students in secondary schools lack basic Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills. This is as a result of non-availability of these resources in secondary level of learning or inability of the schools to use these Information and Communication Technology (ICT) facilities.
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Students Academic Performance in Economics
In addition, attempts have been made to establish relationship between Information Communication and Technology behaviour. Ibe Bassey (2014) and Inyang-Abia (2004) noted that media mediate in a continuum between stimulus response learning and cognitive performance to concretize ideas, concepts and facilitate performance. This reveals that ICT is capable of storage, retrieval, conveyance and dissemination of information. Similarly, the ICT media to include radio, television, computer and internet facilities, computer game console, DVD Player and recorded digital camera, scanner and the rest of them.
To meet these challenges, learning institutions must embrace the new technologies and appropriate ICT tools for learning. The relationship between the use of ICT and student performance in higher education is not clear, and there are contradictory results in the literature. Earlier economic research has failed to provide a clear consensus concerning the effect on students’ achievement.
1.2 Statement of the Problem
In this era of scientific and technological development, the standards of academic achievement in schools have been a matter of great concern to everybody. This is so because a lot of criticisms have been put toward on the performance of students in our public government schools in Nigeria. The general slogan associated with the educational system is the fallen standard of education.
Most researchers like (Busari, 2015, Grfeit, Zunjil and Ezema, 2015, Nwosu, 2015, Duguryil, Katnyon, 2015) have shown that most teachers in Nigeria do not have ICT support from their employers and majority rarely apply ICT material in instructional delivery. This is not too comfortable because skills demand profile globally has shown that Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and internet network skills top the list of highly sought after skills followed by programming skill (Marilla, 2014).
The fact that the future of our educational development depends on modern technology cannot be overemphasized. This technology stems from the availability and accessibility of ICT resources. That is why the researcher wants to see whether most school in Uruan Local Government have both human and material resources in the area of ICT and how it enhances the performance of Economics and secondary school students.
1.3 Purpose of the Study
The main purpose of the study was to determine the influence of Information Communication Technology (ICT) on students’ academic performance.
In specific term, the study sought to;
- Examine the effects of availability in the use of ICT resources on students’ academic performance in Economics in Uruan Local Government Area.
- Asses the influence of teacher knowledge in the use of ICT resources on students academic performance in Economics in Uruan Local Government Area.
- Determine the influence of accessibility in he use of ICT resources on students’ academic performance in Economics in Uruan Local Government Area.
1.4 Significance of the study
The study is important in the following ways:
- The study will help the parents to take the initiative in providing heir wards with Information Technology devices like computer that will help them improve their academic performance in Economics.
- To secondary school students, the finding will help them realize the importance of technology and motivate them to contribute their quota to the development of science and technology in Nigeria through mastery of computer and their applications in different areas of life. The students’ stimulation, graphics and computer assisted instruction for further education and occupations. Also, through effective mastery of the subject area by using computer to do calculation, create charts and other design works.
- The findings will equally help teachers to realize the importance of Information and Communication Technology in delivery teaching and learning programs. Science concepts could be very difficult to teach due to complexity of diagrams, but computer can be presented using computer animation. They prepare and manage instructional materials using word processing packages Corel Draw and others.
- It will also be of immense benefit to teach in Colleges and Tertiary Institutions who are concerned with the training of teachers by preplanning and reconstructing there training programmes to enhance effective teaching and learning of Economics in our secondary schools.
- Also, to the educational administrators, planners’ processes, the findings will help them to know the value of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and apply same in the curriculum, for effective teaching and learning of Economics.
- Serve as reference point for further studies on related topics.
- Help government and philanthropist to see the need of providing quantitative and qualitative ICT resources to all secondary schools especially in Uruan Local Government Area.
- Finally, through the study, the students will be motivated since motivation is an important aspect of students learning thereby enhancing their academic performance in Economics.
1.5 Research Questions
For a successful pursuance of the study, the following research questions were raised:
- To what extent does availability in the use of ICT resources influence students academic performance in Economics?
- Does teacher knowledge in the use of ICT resources affects students academic performance in Economics?
- To what extent does accessibility in the use of ICT resources influence students’ academic performance in Economics?
- AKWA IBOM STATE GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP FOR STUDENTS 2022 - July 8, 2022
- Life History of Peter Obi - July 7, 2022
- Scholarships for Islamic University of Madinah in Saudi Arabia - July 7, 2022